Wednesday, April 14, 2010

National Park Week!!!

I just found out that next week is National Park Week here in the USA. All 392 National Parks are waiving their entrance fee from April 17th - 25th. Tell your friends! What a great opportunity :)

THIS is where homeschooling is awesome, and why I plan to do it with my kids. No child should ever be confined to a classroom when an excellent hands-on learning opportunity is waiting outside. Homeschooling moms can set the rules and take full advantage of last-minute opportunities to expand their child's mind and experience.

Classroom teachers can't do that. The school system can't do that. That lack of flexibility is one reason why I would probably strangle myself if I used my college degree and tried to teach in a public or private school. You can't be flexible with 30 different students, even though it is essential.

Kids learn things at different speeds. They have different interests, different challenges, and different insights. A classroom teacher (public or private) will never be able to cater to the needs, challenges, and interests of every student they have. A resourceful mom can :)


Also: Thank you all for your prayers, I have seen their impact and things have been much better with the girls. I wouldn't have expected the power of prayer to be so tangible, but sometime last week I remember thinking "Things are so peaceful, people must be praying for us." I really appreciate it!

2 comments:

momamia475 said...

Just wanted to say, Hang in there.
Someone once told me, "At the end of this road, there is a child waiting for you to be his/her mother". It was true. It is also true, that adoption is like pregnancy; when it doesn't go through, you feel like you miscarried and when it does go through, your labor feels like it goes on forever. When you get your child, you forget your labor after awhile, because you have new challenges. Our pregnancy just lasts a lot longer. I am praying for you.

Jeanne said...

re: flexibility in the classroom... I taught 7 years in the classroom and 6 years homeschooling. MUCH preferred the hsing, but there were small ways I could be flexible in the classroom. Some days I'd take the class outside, or make up a totally different lesson on the spur of the moment. Still doesn't beat packing up the kids for an impromptu field trip! :-)